Sunday, May 16, 2010

Tuscon, Tumacacri, Tubac, to Hell

Whilst in graduate school at the University of Arizona, I read an historical account of early travel between Tucson and Nogales on the Mexican border named, Tucson, Tumacacari, Tubac, to Hell. Tumacacari and Tubac were waypoints along the trail, but the last "place" characterised the trips with such impositions as desert heat and murderous attacks along the 60-70 mile journey.



Traveling from Houston to Chicago to Bismarck demonstrated the frustration of attempting to travel and stay faithful to the principles of a "primal" diet, but I found it could be (mostly) accomplished.



FLIGHTS: Airlines don't serve much, but practically none of it is "Primal". I substitute seltzer or carbonated water with a lemon for Ginger Ale or Coke. It's bubbly! I say eat before you fly and are in more control of available food.



AIRPORTS: Carbohydrate heaven (Consider restaurants with names like "Au Bon Pain"). As Beki commented when I called her from O'Hare, "Airports are not "Primal-friendly." I found that with some diligent searching, you find a lot of fruit and salads, actually, and traveling solo helped because I wasn't having to "walk in love" towards companions who might not care. I did end up with a turkey and cheese sandwich on whole wheat bread in addition to an apple and banana with water to wash it down. It was then that I learned that sometimes you just have to minimize portions of meals that are "not primal" and not sweat it! I actually felt very good on the flight to Bismarck. By the way, on my return trip through O'Hare, I ate at Chili's and ordered Salmon with brocoli and more broccoli as a rice substitute.



HOTELS: It seems that every American meal is loaded with starchy carbohydrates which are tempting to me because I love 'em, especially white potatoes, skin and all! Again, I learned to substitute fresh fruit for potatoes at Breakfast.



By the way, I worked out every day and even slid down the 3-story, curved water slide in the aquatic dome (there was a winter storm warning during my stay).



CONVENTIONS: We were fed buffet meals for breakfast and lunch and there were lots of opportuities for potatoes, rice and noodles and , of course, sweet rolls and desserts. I applied Debi's dictum to the kids growing up, "Tell your tummy, no!" So I was about 80-90% primal-compliant through outright denial or severe moderation control and substitution. Do I even need to comment on the morning and afternoon breaks?! Well, yes, because there was a lot of fruit including watermelon, so no significant issue there. It requires motivation and self control which, of course, are mildly painful, but worth it!



DINNERS: Again, I found out restaurants are willing to substitute vegetables for potatoes and rice without so much as a frown. I love fish and had walleye for the first time. I've curtailed the creamy dressings for salads and am moving to vinegrettes. On my first request I got a double virgin -- olive oil that is! I also had buffalo for the entree that meal. Supposedly, for a red meat, buffalo has very low cholesterol.



So, how'd I do? I felt good the whole trip, slept well and had four of the most relaxing days I've had in a long time. Usually when I travel, I gain a lot of weight. Traveling for Anadarko to Mexico, I raised my base weight 4 pounds. On this trip I gained only one pound which disappeared in a couple of days back in Houston.



I'm inspired by the good reports from family members about a healthier eating lifestyle.



Papa John

2 comments:

  1. I find airports to be great opportunities to exercise my foraging skills. I have to put the "hunter/gatherer" nature into high gear. I try to make it a little game.

    As for substitutions at dinner, I don't even flinch about asking for a substitution anymore. I figure, if I'm paying, I get to call the shots. And so far, you're right, not so much as a frown.

    All in all, I'm finding some of the things I thought would be hard to be not so much trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Dad! That is so awesome that you were able to explore the primal lifestyle as you traveled. This is perfect proof that everything in your life doesn't have to be in order to start working in primal choices. It's the little victories.

    Also, Mark Sisson would be so proud of you enjoying the water slide! PLAY is a huge part of being primal-- just picture primates at the zoo. They enjoy life, and we should too! :)

    ReplyDelete